OCWC Board Meeting & OER Symposium in BrazilNovember 11, 2012
During the last week of October I had the honor to represent our community college consortium at the meeting of the OpenCourseWare Consortium (OCWC) board of directors that took place in Florianopolis, Brazil. In addition, I was able to participate in the OER Symposium organized by Professor Murilo Matos Mendonca, board member and International Relations officer at our host institution, UnisulVirtual (http://www.virtual.unisul.br).
Above all, I was pleased to share with colleagues from around the world the numerous ways that community colleges are leveraging open education to support faculty innovation and to expand student access. Some of the key points that I shared are:
• the significant growth in membership of CCCOER, signaling strong institutional commitment to open education
• the active schedule of webinars, providing a rich array of professional development to faculty, staff, and administrators
• the diversity of presenters for these webinars (many of you!), underscoring the range of interests and talents among community college folks
• the growing number of conference presentations and publications (by many of you!), again pointing out the depth and breadth of our colleagues
• the regular meetings of our advisory committee, developing a real community of interest
• collaboration with other established organizations, such as the Open University, UK and the Instructional Technology Council, pointing to recognition of CCCOER within the higher education world
• the many case studies of successful implementations of OER, providing examples of real cost savings and improved learning for our students
All of this, and much more, has been accomplished by all of us working together!
Posted by: James Glapa-Grossklag, President of CCCOER Advisory Board, Dean at College of the Canyons